Deducting Unamortized Startup Costs and Organization Costs When Closing a Business
If any unamortized start-up costs or organization costs remain on your books when your business is closed, deduct the balance remaining on your final return.
For example, if you elected you amortize organization costs over five years, and you still have two years of unamortized organized costs remaining when your business is closed, deduct the remaining two-year balance on your final return.
For Freelancers and independent Contractors
- Organzie your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!
Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.
- Return to the Closing A Business Table of Contents to find related links.