Payments Exempt from FUTA Tax

The following types of payments are exempt from FUTA tax:

1. Fringe benefits, such as:

  • Meals and lodging
  • Contributions to accident or health insurance plans for employees, including certain employer payments to a Health Savings Account or an Archer MSA.
  • Payment for benefits excluded under section 125 (cafeteria plans).
    • A Cafeteria Plan is a plan that offers flexible benefits under IRC section 125. Employees choose their benefits from a menu of cash and benefits, some of which can be paid for with pretax deductions from wages.
  • Employer reimbursements for qualified moving expenses, to the extent that these expenses would otherwise be deductible by the employee.

2. Group term life insurance.

3. Retirement/pension plan contributions made by the employer on behalf of employees to a qualified plan are exempt from FUTA tax. Such plans include:

  • A SIMPLE retirement account
  • A 401(K) plan

An employee's salary reduction contributions to a SIMPLE are subject to FUTA taxes. Keep in mind, FUTA taxes are an employer-paid tax; employees do not pay FUTA taxes.

4. Dependent care, such as:

  • Payments up to $5,000, per employee, ($2,500 if married filing separately) for a qualifying person's care.
  • Payments made under workers' compensation law because of a work-related injury or sickness.
  • See section 6 of Pub. 15-A, Employer's Supplemental Tax Guide

6. Other payments exempt from FUTA tax:

  • All non-cash payments and certain cash payments for agricultural labor, and all payments to H-2(A)visa workers.
    • See Publication 51, Agricultural Employer's Tax Guide
  • Payments for domestic services if you did not pay cash wages of $1,000 or more (for all domestic employees) in any calendar quarter in 2013 or 2014.
    • Publication 926, Household Employer's Tax Guide.
  • Payments for services provided to you by your parent, spouse, or child under the age of 21.
    • See section 3 of Pub. 15 (Circular E), Employer's Tax Guide.
  • Payments for certain fishing activities.
    • See Publication 926, Household Employer's Tax Guide
  • Payments to certain statutory employees.
    • See section 1 of Pub. 15-A, Employer's Supplemental Tax Guide.
  • Payments to nonemployees who are treated as your employees by the state unemployment tax agency.

Do Your Payroll Online!
Get started with Intuit Online Payroll Software and make running payroll simple so you can focus on what you love.

QuickBooks Self-Employed
For Freelancers and independent Contractors

- Organize your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!

Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.