Top-Heavy Plan Requirements
A top-heavy plan is one that mainly favors partners, sole proprietors, and other key employees. Most qualified plans, whether or not top heavy, must contain provisions that meet the top-heavy requirements.
A plan is top heavy for any plan year for which the total value of the accrued benefits or account balances of key employees is more than 60% of the total value of accrued benefits or account balances of all employees.
Top-heavy rule exception:
The top-heavy plan requirements do not apply to SIMPLE 401(k) plans or to safe harbor 401(k) plans that consist solely of safe harbor contributions.
For Freelancers and independent Contractors
- Organzie your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!
Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.
- Return to the Retirement Plans Table of Contents to find related links