Moving this Year?

Larry Villano, Publisher of

If you get health insurance coverage through a Health Insurance Marketplace, be sure to add the Marketplace to your list of organizations to be notified of your new address.

Advance Premium Tax Credit Payments

If you are receiving advance payments of the premium tax credit, it is particularly important that you report changes in circumstances, including moving, to the Marketplace.

Here's why:

Reporting your move lets the Marketplace update the information used to determine your eligibility for a Marketplace plan, which may affect the appropriate amount of advance payments of the premium tax credit that the government sends to your health insurer on your behalf.

Reporting the changes will help you avoid having too much or not enough premium assistance paid to reduce your monthly health insurance premiums. Getting too much premium assistance means you may owe additional money or get a smaller refund when you file your taxes. On the other hand, getting too little could mean missing out on monthly premium assistance that you deserve.

Changes in circumstances that you should report to the Marketplace include:

  • an increase or decrease in your income, including lump sum payments like a lump sum payment of Social Security benefits
  • marriage or divorce •the birth or adoption of a child
  • starting a job with health insurance
  • gaining or losing your eligibility for other health care coverage

Special Enrollment Period

Many of these changes in circumstances – including moving out of the area served by your current Marketplace plan – qualify you for a special enrollment period to change or get insurance through the Marketplace.

In most cases, if you qualify for the special enrollment period, you will have sixty days to enroll following the change in circumstances. You can find information about special enrollment periods at

Premium Tax Credit Estimator

The Premium Tax Credit Change Estimator can help you estimate how your premium tax credit will change if you experience a change in circumstance during the year.

Ways to Report Your New Address to the IRS

The the following table shows several ways to report an address change to the IRS:

Methods to Report a Change in Address to the IRS
Tax return Use your new address on your tax return
IRS Form Use Form 8822, Change of Address or, Form 8822B, Change of Address or Responsible Party - Business
Written Statement Send a signed written statement with your:
  • Full name
  • Old address
  • New address
  • Social Security number (or individual taxpayer identification number or employer identification number)

Mail your statement to the address where you filed your last return

Oral Notification You can tell the IRS in person or by telephone. They'll need to verify your identity and address. Have ready the information the IRS has on file for you, such as:
  • Your full name
  • Your address
  • Your Social Security number (or individual taxpayer identification number or employer identification number)
Electronic Notification You can only notify the IRS electronically if your refund check was returned to the IRS. Use Where's My Refund? to complete your change of address online. You will need your Social Security number, filing status and the amount of your refund.


- If you filed a joint return, you should provide the same information and signatures for both spouses.

- If you filed a joint return and you and/or your spouse have since separated, you both should notify the IRS of your new addresses.

- Representatives filing a change of address for a taxpayer by form or written statement must attach a copy of their power of attorney or a Form 2848 (.pdf), Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative. Unauthorized third parties cannot change a taxpayer's address.

- Any new address you provide to the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) may also update your address of record on file with the IRS based on what the USPS retains in its National Change of Address (NCOA) database.

However, even if you notify the USPS, you should still notify the IRS directly because not all post offices forward government checks.

If the change of address relates to an employment tax return, the IRS will issue notices of confirmation (Notices 148 A and 148 B) for the change to both the former and new address.