Figuring Amount Realized
The amount realized represents the total selling price, and includes:
- The fair market value of property received in addition to the cash received
- Any of your liabilities that the buyer agrees to pay or assume.
Buyer's Promissory Note
The buyer's promissory note is included in the selling price at fair market value. This is usually the discounted amount that a bank or other party will pay for the note.
For Freelancers and independent Contractors
- Organize your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!
Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.
- Return to the Capital Gains and Losses Table of Contents to find related links.