When an Independent Contractor Must File Schedule C

Independent contractors file Schedule C to report their business income and expenses. Net profit (or loss) from Schedule C is carried to Form 1040, Line 12 .

If you're a sole proprietor, payments you make to independent contractors are entered on Schedule C, line 11, Contract labor.

Self-Employment Tax

Independent contractors may be subject to self-employment tax (social security and Medicare taxes) if Schedule C shows a profit of $434 or more.

Self-employment tax is social security and Medicare taxes for self-employed persons. Schedule SE, Self-Employment Tax is used to figure self-employment tax. Schedule SE and Schedule C are attached to Form 1040.

QuickBooks Self-Employed
For Freelancers and independent Contractors

- Organize your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!

Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.