Annual Employment Tax Forms

Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement:

When to file:

  • Employees:
    • Paper returns and electronically filed returns must be received by employees by January 31 of the following year.
  • Social Security Administration:
    • Paper returns:
      • File Copy A of Form W-2 (and the accompanying transmittal Form W-3) by February 28 (or the 29th during a leap year.
    • Electronically filed returns:
      • File by March 31.
  • Thirty-day filing extension:
    • You can request a filing extension of 30 days with the Social Security Administration by sending Form 8809, Request for Extension of Time to File Information Returns.
  • Where to file:
    • Send Copy A of Form W-2 (and one transmittal Form W-3) to:
      • Social Security Administration, Data Operations Center, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18769-0001.
    • Certified mail (recommended):
      • If you use certified mail, change the zip code for the above address to 18769-0002.
    • If you use an IRS-approved private deliver service, add two things to the above address:
      • Attn: W-2 Process, 1150 E. Mountain Drive.
      • Change zip code to:18702-7997.

Electronic filing: For electronic filing of Form W-2 visit:

Form W-3, Transmittal of Income and Tax Statement:

Form W-3 is a transmittal form used to summarize the data on each individual W-2 form.

You submit only one Form W-3 along with all W-2 forms.

Do Your Payroll Online!
Get started with Intuit Online Payroll Software and make running payroll simple so you can focus on what you love.

Need to File Your Personal or Small Business Taxes?
File your personal and small business taxes (Schedule C)