Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
The Electronic Federal Tax Payment System is a free service offered by the U.S. Department of Treasury. It is a secure way to make sure your payments are received timely. You can make all your federal tax payments online or by phone.
EFTPS allows all federal tax payments to be made electronically, including:
- Corporate taxes
- Excise taxes
- Employment taxes, and
- 1040 quarterly estimated tax payments.
Payment Scheduling Feature
The payment scheduling feature is a great convenience if you expect to make recurring tax payments. For example, quarterly estimated tax payments or installment agreement payments.
The Scheduling feature allows taxpayers to schedule their payment instruction up to 120 days in advance of a due date for business taxes, and 365 days for individual, nonbusiness taxes. The payments are made on the date the taxpayer indicates. You can schedule payments quarterly, weekly , biweekly, semiweekly, or monthly.
You receive an immediate EFT Acknowledgement Number as a receipt.
You get a 16-month payment history online.
- For more information visit www.eftps.gov or call Customer Service on:
- 1-733-4829 (TDD)
- 1-800-244-4829 (Spanish)
- To enroll: www.eftps.gov/eftps/enrollments/newTaxpayer.do
For Freelancers and independent Contractors
- Organize your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!
Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.
- Return to the Paying Taxes Table of Contents to find related links