What is Free File?
Free-file is not a service offered directly by the IRS. The IRS partners with a group of private sector tax software companies such as TurboTax, to provide free federal tax preparation for eligible taxpayers. This group of companies is called the Free File Alliance.
Who is Eligible for Free File?
The Free File program is open to taxpayers who meet the adjusted gross income (AGI) requirement. The AGI amount changes each year. Back in 2010 your AGI have to be $58,000 or less to qualify for free file. Each participating company sets its own eligibility requirements and not all taxpayers will qualify for all companies.
When to Begin Using Free File
If you qualify, you may generally begin using free file around mid-January. Also keep in mind, you're under no obligation to buy anything in return for the federal free filing service. Fees for state taxes may apply.
For Freelancers and independent Contractors
- Organzie your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!
Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.
- Return to the Filing Taxes Table of Contents to find related links