You have three options for e-filing your return.
- Use your own tax software and computer
- Use a third party transmitter
- Use a professional tax preparer
Use your own tax software and computer
Prepare your own return using your tax software. Use your computer to e-file your return.
For example, if you use TurboTax software to do your taxes, Intuit Electronic Filing Center is the e-file provider who transmits your tax information to the IRS.
The software instructions will guide you through the e-filing process (it's easy).
Use a third party transmitter
Prepare your own return, then, pay an e-file Partner authorized to transmit tax information electronically to the IRS.
Use a professional tax preparer
- Have your taxes prepared and e-filed by a tax professional.
- If the tax professional can't e-file directly to the IRS, a third party transmitter can be used.
When you e-file your return you're still responsible for sending in any taxes due on or before the due date of your return.
You can choose to file a completely paperless tax return by using a Self-Select PIN as your signature. With a Self-Select PIN, there is no paper signature document to send in!
For Freelancers and independent Contractors
- Organzie your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!
Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.
- Return to the Filing Taxes Table of Contents to find related links