How Tax Information is Transmitted When You E-File

You don't e-file directly to the IRS. To file your tax return to the IRS you must go through one of the companies that the IRS has partnered with (called IRS e-file Partners). You use one of these companies to transmit your tax information to the IRS.

IRS industry partners authorized to provide e-file services include:

  • Paid preparers
  • Electronic Return Originators (ERO)
    • A paid preparer may also be an Electronic Return Originator.
  • Third party transmitters.

QuickBooks Self-Employed
For Freelancers and independent Contractors

- Organize your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!

Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.