Items Not Included in Self-Employment Income
The following items are not included in self-employment income:
- Rent from real estate
- Capital gains on the sale of property (unless the property is held for sale to customers in the ordinary course of business. For example, inventory).
- Traders who buy and sell for their own account do not treat gains and losses from sales as self-employment income.
- Dividends and interest on securities held for investment.
- Dividends earned by dealers in securities and interest on accounts receivable are treated as self-employment income if the securities are not being held for investment.
For Freelancers and independent Contractors
- Organzie your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!
Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.
- Return to the Business Taxes Table of Contents to find related links