Items Not Included in Self-Employment Income
The following items are not included in self-employment income:
- Rent from real estate
- Capital gains on the sale of property (unless the property is held for sale to customers in the ordinary course of business. For example, inventory).
- Traders who buy and sell for their own account do not treat gains and losses from sales as self-employment income.
- Dividends and interest on securities held for investment.
- Dividends earned by dealers in securities and interest on accounts receivable are treated as self-employment income if the securities are not being held for investment.
- Return to the Business Taxes Table of Contents to find related links