Resident and Nonresident Aliens and Estimated Taxes
Rules for Nonresident Aliens:
- Resident and nonresident aliens also may have to pay estimated tax.
- Resident aliens should follow the rules in this publication, unless noted otherwise.
- Nonresident aliens should get Form 1040-ES (NR), U.S. Estimated Tax for Nonresident Alien Individuals
- You are an alien if you are not a citizen or national of the United States.
- You are a resident alien if you either have a green card or meet the substantial presence test.
For more information about the substantial presence test, see Publication 519.
For Freelancers and independent Contractors
- Organize your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!
Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.
- Return to the Business Taxes Table of Contents to find related links