How to Pay Estimated Taxes

Five ways to pay estimated taxes:

  • Form 1040-ES, Individual Estimated Tax Voucher:
    • Use the payment the voucher, Form 1040-ES, to remit your payment. Mail the form plus you payment to the IRS.
    • Use the window envelope that comes with the Form 1040-ES package.
    • If you use your own envelope, use the address shown in the Form 1040-ES instructions
    • Tax software usually includes Form 1040-ES payment vouchers. You can print them out and use them to submit your installment. (TurboTax, which I've been using for years, has these vouchers.)
  • Credit card:
    • You may use Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover Card. See Form 1040-ES instructions.
  • Direct debit:
    • You can pay the tax by direct debit if you are filing Form 1040 or Form 1040A electronically.
  • Electronically (EFTPS):
    • You may pay using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS).
  • Using an overpayment from a prior year:
    • You can apply an overpayment from a prior year to your current year estimated tax.

File your personal and small business taxes (Schedule C)