Deducting Awards Given to Employees
Qualified Plan Awards
A qualified plan award for length of service or safety achievement includes:
- An established written plan or program
- It does not discriminate in favor of highly compensated employees
- The average annual cost of all awards under the plan to all employees must not exceed $400 (excluding awards of nominal value).
Deduction Limit for Qualified Plan Awards
You may deduct up to $1,600 for all qualified plan awards (length of time and safety) given to the same employee during the year.
The overall $1,600 applies if the same employee receives some qualified plans awards and some non-qualified plan awards.
Non-Qualified Plan Awards
The maximum annual deduction for non-qualified plans awards for each employee is $400.
For Freelancers and independent Contractors
- Organize your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!
Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.