Items Not Section 197 Intangibles
The following items are not considered section 197 intangibles:
- Copyrights and patents, interests in films, sound recordings, video tapes, books, or other similar property
- However, if any of these intangibles are acquired as part of a purchase of a business, then they are classified as section 197 intangibles and you may amortize their cost over 15 years.
- Interests in:
- a corporation, partnership, trust, or estate
- Certain financial contracts, or under existing leases of tangible property, or under existing indebtedness
- Sports franchises
- Certain corporate transaction costs
- Certain computer software
For Freelancers and independent Contractors
- Organzie your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!
Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.
- Return to the Business Deductions Table of Contents to find related links