Applying for an Employer Identification Number
You don't need Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number .
You can apply for your federal Employer Identification Number online using the IRS online application service.
- No registration is required while you're online to use the system
- No paperwork needs to be sent to the IRS
- It takes about 20 minutes
The IRS online application is available during the following hours:
- Monday – Friday 6:00 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. Eastern time.
- Saturday – 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Eastern time.
- Sunday – 7:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. Eastern time.
For Freelancers and independent Contractors
- Organize your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!
Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.
- Return to the Tax Basics for Startups Table of Contents to find related links.