Employer Identification Number for a Corporation
A corporation must have a federal employer identification number for two reasons:
- A corporation is a separate legal entity, separate and apart from its owners (shareholders).
- A corporation may be an employer.
Even if you're the only shareholder/worker in your corporation, the corporation is an employer and you are its employee.
For Freelancers and independent Contractors
- Organize your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!
Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.
- Return to the Tax Basics for Startups Table of Contents to find related links.