Tax Identification Numbers for an LLC

Single-member LLC

IRS regulations require two employer identification numbers (EIN) for a limited liability company that is:

  • Owned by one person, AND
  • Has or will have employees within the next 12 months.

Both the owner and the LLC need their own EIN:

  • The owner needs an EIN in his or her name
  • The LLC needs an EIN in the LLC's name

Multiple-member LLC

A multiple-member LLC requires an EIN for the LLC. However, individual members do not need an EIN for themselves.

If an election is made for the LLC to receive corporation tax treatment an EIN required for the entity.

General guidelines for whether you need an EIN for your business:

You need an EIN if:

  • You have one or more employees.
  • The the business is a partnership.
  • The business is a corporation.
  • You own a single-member LLC and have or expect to have employees within the next 12 months. In this case, you need two EINs, one in your name and one in the LLC's name.
  • You are a sole proprietorship and you file pension tax returns or excise tax returns (e.g., alcohol, tobacco, or firearms).
  • You change your form of business. For example, from a sole proprietorship to a corporation.

QuickBooks Self-Employed
For Freelancers and independent Contractors

- Organize your financial data into one central accounting system on the cloud
- Software kept up to date.
- Your data kept secure
- Anytime, anywhere data access.
- Pay your quarterly estimated taxes online.
- Export Schedule C to TurboTax at year-end for faster filing.
- Save up to 50% off QuickBooks Self-Employed. Track every deduction! Start your free trial now!

Have an accounting or bookkeeping question? Email it to me.